Friday, April 10, 2009

One of the True Dungeon Masters Died


Dave Arneson, one of the co-creators of the Dungeons & Dragons, died peaceful on Tuesday. He was 61.

He and Gary Gygax created Dungeons & Dragons in 1974. They gave us every type of warrior and mythical creature you could think of; causing millions of folks to stay up very late and search for an adventure.

I'm sure some of us played D & D somewhere in our lives. I remember playing a couple of times in college and realizing there were other fantasy freaks like me.

He will be missed.

3 comments:

me said...

I will gather my twenty sided dice and say a prayer.

Allan S. said...

I still have my funny shaped dice. I was a fierce wizard named Appregio back in the day.

Anonymous said...

I too was a high level wizard. Played from my late teens to around 23 years old.

Met some interesting people who I crossed path with over the years. Some are still into it. I don't know, those still doing RPG's at 35 or more strike me as a little bit, I don't know, ungrounded.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.