Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mississippi Woman Denied Business License for Gay Bar, SPLC files a Federal Lawsuit


This is a video of Pat Newton, a lesbian, who wants her gay bar to be legit in the town of Shannon, Miss. When she applied for her business license, it was instantly denied. The SPLC were notified and now, they have filed a federal lawsuit against the town, the mayor, and the aldermen.

The complaint notes how their actions are discriminatory towards Pat and the 14th Amendments.

I wish her the best in this battle and I hope the townsfolk are not complete assholes about this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't just a problem there. For example, for years I'd dutifully testify in favor of marriage equality here in RI. Only to have to listen to the blathering of the religious bigots.

There was one special one though a few years ago. My neighbors were up testifying when a guy from the religious bigot crowd says "I bet the kid isn't even theirs!". I looked at him and said "I happen to know that the child is the biological child of one of them."

You never saw someone get up so fast and try to move away.

Anonymous said...

Oh and how could I forget - one of my shining moments was about a year or so ago. Perennial crank Christopher Young was leading a little band of bigots in the rotunda of the RI State House. I was up on the second level and yelled down to him "Hey Chris, the better part of you dribbled down your mothers leg."

I caught him on camera turning beet red. It was great.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.