Thursday, October 10, 2013

Interesting Quote: Harrison Ford


"It's well known Orson Scott Card and I have different views on the issue of gay marriage and gay rights. It has been a real dilemma for me: I love the book Ender's Game, it's all about tolerance and compassion, and understanding the other. When I first read the book I was deeply moved by a story aimed at young people that I could share with my children and access ideas in a way that was exciting for them, and yet allowed us to talk about compassion, tolerance, diplomacy, even. Should I not have made the film because of his views? I wrestled with that, and you know what? I thought: if I don't put these ideas out on screen we wouldn't be having this conversation. We are having this conversation precisely because the themes of the book are at odds with his current ideas. I'm very proud of the film, and I felt strongly that I didn't want to lose my love of this book because its creator seems to be in a different zone to me on this issue. It's hard. We love the music of Richard Wagner, but he was a deep anti-semite. I love Braveheart, but I don't like what Mel Gibson has been saying about Jewish people. Art and their creators often diverge. Art is an expression of our higher selves and we who make art don't always measure up to the art we create."

source 

2 comments:

Ron said...

What a guy. Very thoughtfull indeed.

Ron said...

What a guy. Very thoughtful indeed.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.