Monday, November 7, 2011

Where is our Gay ROCK Star?


We have our divas, pop stars and disco queens, but it would be nice if we had a gay rock star.

I'm not talking about Adam Lambert, that's a pop tart/star. I mean a Mick Jagger-Bruce Springsteen-Prince-Billy Idol-Jimi Hendrix type of star.

Someone who commands and owns his sexuality in ways that challenges us. Someone who doesn't get caught up in the faux gay/hipster scene; in fact, creates a new scene. Someone who can stay true to themselves that makes most of us uncomfortable, but turns us on at the same time. I wish that person would step forward. We need something else than Gaga, something more than Madonna.

Maybe this person already exist in the underground music scene, staying out of the limelight. While I kind of like that, I wish we all could experience that  glorious madness. I feel like we are missing that much needed raw/rock/sex appeal in the LGBT music world.

6 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

YES.

Stan said...

I'm sure one or more is out there just like professional athletes but they don't want to jeopardize their careers.

Unknown said...

We're on the same page. When I listen to S&M by Rihanna, I always imagine a sexy, muscled man, in latex, singing that song.

Unknown said...

They are out there, but, sadly, they have a tough time finding the support for their music. There are out musicians like Josh Zuckerman, Cassidy Haley, Dylan Rice, the band Abe Vigoda, as well as avant-rock musicians like Brett Gleason & Derek Nicoletto (and others I have forgotten). However, i can say on my blog, I can get 3 times the comments on a post featuring Julie London than I can about an LGBT artist, from gay men...

behrmark said...

Does Rob Halford of Judas Priest not count?

WilsonW said...

Good call behrmark. But would he be considered kinda as stereotypical as an Adam Lambert since his sexuality tends to be exhibited in such a Tom of Finland/The Eagle way?? So genre specific? While Adam is the Glamrock ideal. Prince and Lenny Kravitz both work looks that can and do go beyond the heteronorm. What would a gay artist working that look like? Our genre's tend to be so preset and niched out that it would be really difficult to create a space that's totally new and individual. I guess we'll know it when we see it.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.