Saturday, November 19, 2011

Marvel Cancels their ONLY LGBT Solo Lead Comic Book

Wolverine has a bisexual son named Daken, and he has a comic... Wait! He HAD a comic. Marvel just cancelled it. Here's Marvel's EIC Axel Alonso to get us the scoop:

It's always disappointing when a title comes to an end. I'll bet everyone reading this column still mourns the death of a title or two they loved -- and wonder why the book didn't stick. And I guarantee you that as frustrated as a fan might be, there's a writer, artist and an editor who are even more disappointed. That's just the way things go sometimes. The market won't support it.

That said, I'm proud of X-23's run. Two successful limited series and an ongoing series ain't bad. Ditto for Daken [who is also ending his series.] From a supporting role in "Wolverine: Origins” to the lead of ongoing series that included him slicing Frank Castle to bits -- enter Franken-Castle. Both were characters that gained traction in a market that, well, doesn't really have a great track record of supporting new stuff. And both characters anchored legitimate monthly titles. We don't do R&D at Marvel. We'll stick by a title for a while -- like we did with "Spider-Girl" -- but there comes a point where that title has to earn, usually sooner than later.

I hope Daken will continue to be active in the Marvel universe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know he was a Bi-Sexual Lead, but man what a terrible character. How he had a solos for as long as he did and no female has solo is beyond me. I'm angry. I hate my dad....Wah.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.