Friday, April 4, 2008

Query Letter meltdown


I hate query letters! I hate it with the passion. But if I want people to read my book, I got to do it. Oh, BTW I wrote a book about a gay man’s last few months is college. It took me three years, but I did it. I finished the book last April. Since then, I’ve been trying to catch errors and odd story quirks. That part of the book work has been great, I’ve actually changed the story, characters, and the ending. But now I’m stuck with writing the damn query letter.

People tell me that it’s like writing a cover letter for a job, and that’s poppycock! Cover letters are easier. You have a page to work with. With query letters, your book is told within two paragraphs! Two! Then, you have to sink them in with a hook, a one sentence teaser to promote interest in your book. So after writing and 200 and something page story, you have to make a one sentence selling statement.

I know I’m complaining, I should be happy with my accomplishments. But I’m totally struggling with writing a query letter. I’ve tried millions of times and even asked for help from an on-line forum. However, the response is less that good and I always feel defeated after reading the feedback. Still I continue to take a licking and keep on ticking (I truly feel ancient saying that) I will get it together soon and get this letter out to agents. But I wish I could schedule an appointment and just talk to them. I think I would do better in person, at least that’s what I think.

So I’ll keep on truckin’, with any luck I will have it ready next April.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.