Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Life according to Ororo 3...Remembering Lawrence King


This piece here makes me think about Lawrence King, the young man would was killed at school by another student, because he was gay. I know this happened a while ago, but still, I can't believe this happened...in school. Because Lawrence was being himself, he was killed...not completely by another person, but by hate, ignorance, and fear.

What is happening when a kid feels that he should go to school and kill someone because of their sexuality. What's happening in our homes, our neighborhoods, our schools? Lawrence was all of us, just a kid trying to fit in and live. That's all he was doing, just trying to live. I wish I was like him when I was in school. I wish I could have been free and been myself. I wish I had his strength, his heart, and his courage.

This week, LGBT groups are trying lower Brandon McInerney's (King's murderer) sentence. I think this kid needs serious counseling, but I don't think he should be completely locked away. He needs help, I'm not sure if he will survive in the pen for 20 years. I know it will send a super strong message, but right now, if Brandon gets the message that his actions were terribly wrong; then it would be a great start to the healing that he needs.

So to all of you, please think about the bravery of Lawrence and celebrate the bravery in yourselves.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.