Sunday, June 10, 2012

John Weed. Mormon, Father, Marriage and Gay?


Okay, this is, um, new? I think?

My partner sent me this interesting blog post of Josh Weed a couple of days ago. Then, this was brought up during Netroots Nation.

Josh is a loving husband, Mormon, father and openly gay... Yes, I said gay. But don't take it from me, take it from him.
When I say I am gay or homosexual or same-sex attracted (and I use these terms interchangeably, which is a personal decision) I refer specifically to sexual orientation. I am sexually attracted to men. I am not sexually attracted to women. It is very simple. I have many, many years of experience which confirm this to be true, but it’s really as simple as what a girl asked me* in junior high—and I’m sorry if this is a little blunt, but I’ve never found a question that cuts to the heart of the matter more effectively— “so, if everyone in this room took off their clothes, would you be turned on by the girls or the guys?” My answer, which I didn’t say out loud, was unquestionably the guys. And it was unquestionably not the girls. And that still is my answer. It’s really not very complicated. Most people just don’t think about their sexual orientation because they don’t have any reason to.

*Why did a girl ask me that question in junior high? Because a bully actively spread a rumor around the entire school that I was a “woman trapped in a man’s body.” This was unbelievably horrific and traumatizing, and I was harassed every single day about it, often by perfect strangers. I was more effeminate, played the violin, didn’t play sports, was never interested in girls and didn’t hang out with guys, and so people glommed onto that rumor and ruthlessly harassed me for the entire year, culminating in a yearbook filled with breathtakingly insensitive taunts. Being the gay kid is really, really hard in junior high. If you know a gay kid in junior high, give them a hug and tell them you love them. I assure you they could use it.
 This is how it works for him and his wife.
The truth is, what people are really asking with the above question is “how can you be gay if your primary sex partner is a girl?” I didn’t fully understand the answer to this question until I was doing research on sexuality in grad school even though I had been happily married for almost five years at that point. I knew that I was gay, and I also knew that sex with my wife was enjoyable. But I didn’t understand how that was happening. Here is the basic reality that I actually think many people could use a lesson in: sex is about more than just visual attraction and lust and it is about more than just passion and infatuation. I won’t get into the boring details of the research here, but basically when sex is done right, at its deepest level it is about intimacy. It is about one human being connecting with another human being they love. 
It is a beautiful physical manifestation of two people being connected in a truly vulnerable, intimate manner because they love each other profoundly. It is bodies connecting and souls connecting. It is beautiful and rich and fulfilling and spiritual and amazing. Many people never get to this point in their sex lives because it requires incredible communication, trust, vulnerability, and connection. And Lolly and I have had that from day one, mostly because we weren’t distracted by the powerful chemicals of infatuation and obsession that usually bring a couple together (which dwindle dramatically after the first few years of marriage anyway). 
So, in a weird way, the circumstances of our marriage allowed us to build a sexual relationship that is based on everything partners should want in their sex-life: intimacy, communication, genuine love and affection. This has resulted in us having a better sex life than most people I personally know. Most of whom are straight. Go fig.
Well, that's something. They are truly challenging the norm and their religious practices. And the most of all, they are happy.

source

5 comments:

behrmark said...

A couple of points I'd like to share. Because he is married to a woman, has procreated, and (supposedly) does not act on his same-sex attraction, he is "right" with the Church and therefore can remain an active member. He most likely cannot enter the Temple, having vocally expressed his same-sex attraction. This is the key to the Mormon religion: to be sealed in the Temple to one's opposite sex partner means to be sealed for all eternity in heaven to him/her. So he gets the same treatment as "all good Christians" who are not worthy of entrance to the Temple.
He most likely is not in the priesthood. So he's not Elder Josh. He's....Just Josh.
It makes one wonder, however, in the matter of the unknown if he's done a disservice to himself, wife, children, and Church. Is toeing the line what gets us "saved" or is being true to that nature and image of God in which we were created the "golden ticket?"
Just something to think about. imo

WilsonW said...

Vik, have you seen the interviews with Benji Schwimmer, the Mormon guy who won season 2 of So you think you can dance? (They are really long and in three parts) But it seems that with Mormons they are kinda ok with you being gay. They see it as something that can be dealt with. In much the way that the guy in your post demonstrates. As well as abstinence. You can also have a boyfriend and all that as long as you don't engage in sexual acts with one another. I think kissing and holding hands is ok. It's really strange. Here's a link to the first video,

http://youtu.be/_L9gxhReIoc

Also, if you watch them you can tell that Benji still has a LOT of hangups on masculinity and femininity. He's young though and I hope he works everything out.

Natalie Jane said...

I'm a Mormon. Of course he can go to the temple. Nothing at all would be withheld from him. Including the Priesthood.

WilsonW said...

@Natalie and Behrmark-Is there any way you could break down how teh Mormon's deal with homosexuality. When I watchedthe videos I mentioned in my post, Benji said they offered conversion therapy of a sort. (making men do manly things and girls do girlie things.) When he said that wasn't for him, he said the worst he could have potentially gotten was ex-communicated for a year and some other things. Can you explain these things?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I saw your blog while googling Josh Weed. I am in face LDS, or Mormon. Josh Weed is definitely allowed in the temple. And he definitely holds the priesthood. Even if you don't hold the priesthood, the use of "Brother" or "Sister" is not reserved for someone that's temple worthy. Everyone is equal. I really don't even know who hasn't gone through the temple at church unless they bring it up.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.