Saturday, June 2, 2012

It's Official, Queen Latifah didn't Come Out


Weeks ago, folks thought the Queen came out at Long Beach Pride, however that was not the case. The Queen told EW that she didn't reveal a thing.

The Advocate reports
“That definitely wasn’t the case," she says. "I’ve never dealt with the question of my personal life in public. It’s just not gonna happen.”

"To me, doing a gay pride show is one of the most fun things,” she says. “My first show that paid more than $10,000 was in a gay club on New Year’s Eve in San Francisco. Tupac happened to be in town, so he came to kick it with me. This was the early ’90s. And the boys were like, ‘Take your shirt off, Tupac!’ He wasn’t doing that. But we had a blast in there.”

The singer-actress also acknowledges the reciprocal love between her and her LGBT fan base. “I know that the most important thing and the only thing I have to give is love," she says. "When people are going through hatred and bullying, the biggest thing to fight that is love. So that’s all I encouraged my audience to do that night: to share their light and share their love. Period.”
Maybe in another 4 years?

6 comments:

Greg said...

I don't think her sexuality is anybody's business but her own. Music is for everyone, and she knows that and she passes that message along. I admire that about her.

Anonymous said...

I think she now at risk of loosing here "audience." She could be doing some real good and is instead, possibly causing harm. And people wonder why Rayvon, less talented and established, won't come out.

Anonymous said...

I got Bills to pay, fuck her!

Unknown said...

I don't think all this pressure should be on the shoulders of Latifah, Anderson Cooper, etc...
Let them live their life.

Unknown said...

I don't think all this pressure should be on the shoulders of Latifah, Anderson Cooper, etc...
Let them live their life.

WilsonW said...

If she wants to she can. If not, that's her business. I'm more concerned with the self hating closeted gay folks who work against us socially and politically than the ones who are supportive of our community without telling all their own personal business.

Sorry folks. The same way coming out was our decision. (For the most part) It's her decision too. Regardless of why, even though it's not hard to figure out what that may be.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.