Wednesday, October 9, 2013

An Local debates Chris Christie over Gay Marriage


Chris Christie has been very public about his stance over gay marriage. Yesterday, a local resident questioned his stance and why he's so against it.

During one of his campaign stops at the Edison Diner, Bert Bueno grilled him about marriage equality.
Here's the exchange via The Star-Ledger
"How come you're in opposition?" Bueno, a straight woman, asked.

"Listen: Lots of different people have different views on this," Christie responded. "I think marriage should be between a man and a woman.

"My view is: If you want to change it, put it on the ballot," he continued. "Let everybody decide. It shouldn't be decided by courts, it shouldn't be decided by politicians in Trenton. It should be decided by everybody. If the majority of the people of New Jersey want same-sex marriage, I'll enforce the law."

"How could you as the leader of the state speak and have such a point of view that really is in opposition to many, many people?" Bueno asked.

"Whenever you have an opinion that's in opposition to many, many people ... " Christie started to reply.

"But this is different than gun control or taxes," Bueno interjected.

"No, I don't think it is different," the governor said.

"It's a human rights issue," Bueno insisted.

"Says you," Christie responded. "The fact is: We've been very supportive of a lot of other things, like banning gay conversion therapy. This is an issue where we have an honest difference of opinion. Okay, so you put it on the ballot — you vote your way, I vote my way. And whoever gets the most votes wins."

Before Christie moved to the next table, Bueno asked him if he would ever be open to sitting down for an open conversation with a group gay and lesbian people "to really see how this is affecting them."

"I have relatives who are gay, I have friends who are gay," Christie said. "I think I have an understanding. That's not the point. We have a difference of opinion.

He continued: "The fact is: I'm open to having conversations with anybody, but I don't think it's going to change my point of view."
I'm glad Bert did what she did.

2 comments:

Gene Perry said...

"I have gay friends" ... Really Chris? Name three!

K. Clark said...

If he has "gay friends and relatives" and "has an understanding," then that makes his position even worse. He's basically saying "I know the current law hurts you legally/financially, but thems the brakes!" I don't see how he could even look these supposed gay friends in the face when he's going out of his way to deny them rights.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.