Sunday, January 16, 2011

Halle Berry will play the Queen of Soul


Halle Berry is going to fulfill Aretha Franklin's dreams!  Aretha just confirmed that Ms. Berry will be playing her in a movie about... Her.
Franklin broke the news on the 'Wendy Williams Show' on Thursday, saying that after years of potential deals, the film about her illustrious life is finally getting made.
"For the last four years, we've been talking about [the film], and I have had a number of offers. Unfortunately, they were not good offers," she told the host (via MTV). "Now, we have something on the table. They have all of the financing on one project and the second project, and he's in the process of writing things for me to approve on the tele-film."
This should be very interesting to see. Honestly, I can't see Halle in this role, but who knows. She could rock it like Angela did with Tina Turner.

source

9 comments:

Bob said...

I would have thought Fantasia or Jennifer Hudson would be a better choice.

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

jesus! now why did she go n do that? nvm ..but I am so against it. However, I will not deliver a final decision until the trailer becomes available....but get ready for halle to learn to do some serious soul lip syncing...just horrible thinking about it.

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you. 2 months ago, i was discussing just this with a female friend. We both remember Aretha wanted Fantasia to play her, a few years ago.
I like Halle for several reasons, but I don't see her in THIS role. I hope i'm really wrong. I hope it turns out great.

Stan said...

I hope Ms Franklin is doing okay with her recent health issues.

Prince Todd said...

this is Aretha's ego in FULL effect.
But, I think, visually, Halle does look like Aretha in her younger years...but will they use a fat suit or another actress in the later years?

SteveA said...

I'll have to wait and see how this plays out! I'm not convinced!

Allan S. said...

I would have went with Jennifer Hudson. I'm surprised Beyonce's dream team didn't make it happen.

WilsonW said...

OK, I saw the episode and I didn't interpret Aretha as saying that Halle has been cast. I took it she was saying that Halle would be her choice if she got to pick.

In response to her choice I agree with most everybody above, nuh-uh. Let's be real. Aretha was always about voice over looks. Which was fine. She gained fame largely due to her powerhouse soulful vocals and down home girl looks. She was always pretty, but no she was not a Halle. That's why Halle was perfect for Dorothy Dandridge, because Dandridge was known for her looks. Jennifer Hudson would have been great! Perfect even, but now that she is all Weight Watched and fine, she might nor fit the mold as well either. I still think Hudson is a better choice than Berry though. Especially if she will be singing the tracks. But if the actor doesn't have to sing, any number of other black actresses would work.

WilsonW said...

Ah seems that Wendy Williams agrees with you guys Jennifer Hudson suggestion! Can we call it or what?

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.