Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Comic Book Bible, Wizard Magazine is Done


This really hit home the other day. I read that Wizard Magazine is closing up shop... in physical form, but like the Phoenix, it returns in digital fashion.

IGN reports
In an official press release, President and CEO of the now public company Wizard World confirmed the previous reports of Wizard Magazine's closure, which will also include Toyfare Magazine. He confirmed that the company has gone public and will now be the producers of the Comic Con Tour, holding events across major cities in the US.

In addition, the company will launch a brand-new digital magazine in February 2011.
"This is a very exciting day for Wizard World and the industries it serves," said Shamus. "Having the Tour produced by a public company provides additional opportunities to expand and grow the Tour. The new digital magazine Wizard World will give consumers the content they want in a magazine format with which they are familiar, but distributed in a form that is always available at any time on any device. It is a natural evolution for us in this market."

Wow... You know, this hits hard a little. Back in the day, I use save up to get Wizard Magazine with my weekly comic pack. Wizard was the Almanac of comics, telling you all the latest hype and news about your favorite comics.

It was a must-have for me, I truly enjoyed the magazine over the years. But, I knew it would be a matter of time before Wizard would close shop. Just didn't think it would be now.

2 comments:

Prince Todd said...

I still read Wizard. It is how I keep up with whats going on even though I'm only reading one monthly title now.

Unknown said...

I guess all my Wizards are collectors items now.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.