Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Here's my "I think I'm too Old" Ramble


When my friends visited over the holidays, I realized something... I'm old.

During the week and a half of their LA visit, we spent most of that out in WeHo (West Hollywood).
FYI, I hate WeHo, but for my friends, I just grinned and deal with it. Anywho, we spent several nights at the clubs and those hours felt like daaaaaaays. It was crowded, fake, loud and crazy. Plus, listening to Katy Perry, Ke$ha and broke ass Britney Spears is not what I call a good time.

But 13 years ago, it was.

In college (undergrad & grad), I went out every weekend in Paducah or Nashville. We danced for many, many hours, coming home sweaty and tired. Ever since I was 17, I've been up in the clubs. But at 36, I'm not the Dance Hall Ho I used to be.

Now, I'm the 2 Drink Minimum Ho. I like going out to a nice bar for happy hour or a lounge. If I dance, it's to the oldies or R&B. Also, I don't need to go out that much anymore. I have fun chillin' at home or at someone's house. I don't need to be seen, well, I like to be seen, but not too often.

I don't know when I changed, but this holiday it was clear... I'm no longer 23 years old. I felt bad for my friends, because they was lovin' the dancefloor, but I was secretly annoyed. The WeHo gay scene is tired and overdone.  Just give me some buffalo wings, good convo and great drinks and that's a night out for me.

12 comments:

Robyn said...

That sounds like me. The only reason I kept going to clubs until I was 25 is because I was in college until then. After I graduated I was done with the scene and never went back.

EMikeGarcia said...

Oh man... That's EXACTLY how I feel every time one of my friends drags me out to a nightclub.

Don't get me wrong, I love dancing to Britney Spears, just at home in my underwear.

David Dust said...

I used to LIVE for the clubs of NYC. In fact, the clubs were one of the main reasons I moved here. But as I got older, the clubs just didn't have the same appeal to me as they once did. Besides, all the old, huge, fun clubs closed a long time ago.

I do, of course, still enjoy an occasional trip to the local go-go boy bar to drop a few dozen singles in g-strings.

XOXOXOXOXO

Judy C. Adanna said...

Are you growing old or just growing up?

Eric Arvin said...

I hear ya.

Amerikan Rambler said...

Good point, Judy.

Stan in NH said...

I would have to agree that it's a case of growing up rather than growing old. if the clubs no longer have the appeal they once did, it's because you are in a different space and don't need them anymore. That's not getting old, it's growing up! :) And be happy about it. There is nothing worse than an old person (any gender) in a club, acting like they are still young. It's not their age, it's the maturity level that makes them sad. They didn't grow up.

Wonder Man said...

Yeah, I know I've grown out of the scene. Just a little surprised how the change happened.

Allan S. said...

Honey, changes are either sudden and dramatic or just slowly creep up on you.

I am the same way about going out. The clubs don't work for me like they use to. The main reason is that often the music sucks! I do not want to hear KeSha loudly. Ewww. I'm at peace with it because I had my scandalous times in the clubs of NYC. So, I'm good.

Give me dinner and conversation with family and friends and I'm a happy bitch.

behrmark said...

I hate WeHo too. If for no other reason than the lousy parking. I think the Abbey is overrated. And at 36 you're not old...you just have different priorities.

Prince Todd said...

I used to live in clubs too. Admittedly I love Kesha and Katy Perry.
But I do prefer a bar or a lounge nowadays. Clubs just grate on my nerves...especially people who are looking for love in the clubs.

Anonymous said...

I remember the TV show. I feel Joan Rivers could play Madame, they do favor.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.