Saturday, February 7, 2015

In Alabama: Two Probate Judges will not issue Same-Sex Marriage Licenses


The drama is real in Alabama...

Multiple Alabama probate judges have decided to stop offering courthouse gay marriage ceremonies until the state ban officially becomes unconstitutional on Monday.

However, a few of them are completely off course and plan to defy the law. Judge Ben Bowden and Wes Allen are being assholes and believe their religion gives them the right to do so. Bowden has stated that he will not issue any gay marriage licenses on Monday, because his personal or religious beliefs.

He said:
"I have concluded that I have a duty to uphold Alabama law until a court with authority over me directs me otherwise. The United States Supreme Court has agreed to hear and rule on a very similar case from another state this summer. I look forward to getting a definitive answer as soon as possible."

Bowden said he's also following instructions from chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court Roy Moore. Moore handed down guidance to the state's probate judges in a 27-page memorandum Tuesday.

Moore said marriage is a state issue, and he does not feel the lower federal courts, in this case the Southern District Court of Alabama, have the authority to overrule Alabama law. Moore says the only people affected by this ruling are those who are named in the case.
Then, this bastard, Pike County Probate Judge Wes Allen cites some code to justify his actions:
Allen cited Alabama Code Section 30-1-9, which states “Marriage licenses may be issued by the judges of probate of the several counties.” He said the word "may" doesn't require him to issue marriage licenses.

Allen also cited the Alabama Religious Freedom Amendment in the Alabama Constitution, which states that “Government shall not burden a person's freedom of religion.”

“I believe that the Alabama Constitution and federal law protect my right to both live my life as a Christian and perform my elected duties,” Allen stated. “The way that the law allows me to do that is by giving me the discretion to end the issuance of marriage licenses and that is the legal course I am taking.”

Get it together, Judges. Your job is to uphold the law! Do your job! I hope some groups sue these fools on Monday.

source

2 comments:

Bob said...

Hate to say it, but they both have a serious case of Gay Face.
That said, as judges they are supposed to uphold the law, and if they refuse to do so, they should be removed from the bench.

kayman said...

Let me make some calls back to Alabama and find out that those 2 are zestier than a lemon rhine and it will be on like popcorn...

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.