Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Raven-Symone addresses Critics over her "Not African-American" Statement

On Sunday, Raven Symone talked with Oprah about everything, but what stuck out was this statement here:



Well, a lot of folks didn't take that statement well at all. My Twitter feed was burning up with posts over Raven's label speech. After a few days, Raven responded on her infamous statement:
“I never said I wasn’t black… I want to make that very clear. I said, I am not African-American. I never expected my personal beliefs and comments to spark such emotion in people. I think it is only positive when we can openly discuss race and being labeled in America.”
To her credit, she didn't say she wasn't Black. And when I watched the special, I understood where she was coming from, but I knew it would be misinterpreted.

But, I'm glad she cleared that up.

source

2 comments:

behrmark said...

In my humble opinion, she handled herself far more professionally than Oprah in that interview. Good on her.

Bob said...

She outshone Oprah.
It was clear what she was saying, but then Oprah had to whoop and holler.
Someone should have given her a cookie and told her to settle.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.