Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Nativity Scene features a Bleeding Trayvon Martin


The Claremont United Methodist Church in Claremont, CA, has an interesting nativity scene. Their version has a bleeding Trayvon Martin where Jesus would be.

A black-hooded mannequin is bleeding in a pool that says “A Child is Born, a Son is Given.”

The artist John Zachary said this:
“My feeling about it is that we have so many guns in our country and there are so many killings and it’s unique to our children. And I think that people still need to talk about it in a reasonable manner until there’s something done about it."
He had the church's permission to display the scene, but some folks are not feeling this at all. Rev. Dr. Sharon Rhodes-Wickett said that some calls and emails have been really mean and one message condemned the church to Hell.

It's an interesting choice for a message. I might have to see this for myself.

source

2 comments:

Damien said...

I think its in poor taste myself.

I think a message could have been delivered without such "shock value".

Just because you can... doesnt mean you should.

This cheapens a tragedy in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Anonymous said...

This is Powerful. Trayvon was murdered by a fat guy on Aderall who wanted to prove something.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.