Sunday, July 21, 2013

CHECK IT OUT: Out in the ‘Hood: Young, Gay and Hoping for Something Better


Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Preston Gannaway documents Tavaris “Teddy Ebony” Edwards, a young gay man who's trying make his life more than what's expected.

Tavaris is from the hood and at the age of 16, dropped out of school. Now, he is trying to better himself:
I grew up in the hood. When you’re staying in a rough neighborhood, you always gotta keep your guard up. 
I’m the first openly gay person in my family. As a young boy, I was always feminine. I always liked boys. I had to hide it, because people expected me to be who I wasn’t. Before I came out, I was the captain of the football team. I was living a dream that everybody wanted me to live. I came out when I was sixteen. I guess I got tired of hiding who I really wanted to be.
This is an interesting piece. Please check it out and let me know what you think

source

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.