Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gay Latino Artist picked to be the 2013 Inaugural Poet


Gay Latino artist Richard Blanco has been chosen to be the 2013 inaugural poet. Like Robert Frost and Maya Angelou, Richard will present an original poem during the President’s ceremonial swearing-in.

In an interview with the NYT, Richard talked about this opportunity:
“Since the beginning of the campaign, I totally related to his life story and the way he speaks of his family, and of course his multicultural background,” Mr. Blanco said in a telephone interview from the rural village of Bethel, Me., where he lives with his partner. “There has always been a spiritual connection in that sense. I feel in some ways that when I’m writing about my family, I’m writing about him.”
I'm excited about this and I hope Mr. Blanco brings it.

3 comments:

Roger Poladopoulos said...

Thanks, buddy, for sharing this.

Daij said...

Cool!

I love my President.

Kyle Leach said...

This was great news V. I'm really excited for him and for our community.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.