Saturday, January 26, 2013

In Arizona: You have to believe in God in order to Graduate


Arizona continues their stupid steak by introducing a bill that forces High School students to swear by God before graduating... No joke
A group of Republican lawmakers want to require Arizona students to recite a loyalty oath to the U.S. and its Constitution before they can graduate high school. They are sponsoring House Bill 2467 in the Legislature. If passed, it would make the loyalty oath a prerequisite for graduation from any public high school in Arizona starting with the 2013-14 school year.

Students would be required to say:

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose or evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; so help me God.

The wording sounds somewhat similar to oaths of office taken by members of Congress and the U.S. president. Some states have required public employees, including school teachers, to take or sign similar oaths.
Sometimes, I think some of the folks in Arizona enjoys being the ass of this country.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.