Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Writers! Enough with the Sassy, DL, Thug, Housewife Assistant roles for Gay Black Men


Here is my mini-rant of the day...

While I'm happy about more Black gays on TV, I'm not excited about the roles.

It seems the roles for Black gay men are either: DL, whiny or queeny-Diva assistants. From Reality Shows to L.A. Complex, the diversity of gay roles are very limited.

But why is that? Why are we limited to this these particular roles? Is it easier to create these roles or is it all the writer knows about Black gay men? And I get it all about the character development, but does it have to start with these 'special' attributes?

Personally, I'm over the DL storylines. It may be alluring and mystical, but it reminds me of the fixation folks have over Mandingo. Why are we still fascinated with these DL stories? Can we get storyline about raising kids, running for office, solving mysteries or just traveling the world? Is that hard to do?

And what about these sassy roles? Child, if I see another gay Diva-assistant to some sorry Reality Housewife, I'm going to burn down a village.

Folks, these are not ideal roles or images we want. We should be asking for more diverse roles for Black gay men. Not all of us fantasize about the DL thug or the magical hairdresser.

I want a new set of characters representing the Black gay community. Our stories should not be limited to a few stereotypical characters. We are more than that and we should demand for better representation.

4 comments:

EMikeGarcia said...

Very well said.

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LOOK TO YOUTUBE FOR THIS. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GET MORE OF THESE NORMAL GUYS WHO ARE NOT THESE HYPER STEREOTYPICAL VERSIONS OF OURSELVES TO GET INVOLVED IN THE INDEPENDENT YOUTUBE MARKET. ITS SUCH A GREAT MARKET AND A FREE MARKET TO BREAK INTO. YOU COULD EASILY GARNER MORE VIEWS THAN YOU WOULD ON A NATIONAL TELEVISION. I WISH MORE WOULD COME OUT SO WE CAN GET THAT GOING. I HEAR ADTV WILL HAVE A SCRIPTED SHOW SOON....EVEN THOUGH I AM REALLY OVER ADTV.

Immanuel said...

Wonderful post Wonder Man. So glad you took the time to spell out your thoughts so well and open up this discussion.

Gay roles can be stereotypical and I'm so tired of the thug. But there have been excellent ones, including the interracial couple on HBO's Six Feet Under. Their gay relationship was normal and understated.

That couple really broke the mold.

I see your concerns with The LA Complex. But remember there were gay characters who were well adjusted, such as Tariq, and successful, smart and openly gay, such as Christopher the lawyer.

Daddy Squeeze Mel is also right. Some of the most cutting edge television is happening on the Internet. I see a future for LGBT
TV there too.

Immanuel
www.dlconfessionssequel.com

Unknown said...

I want to hug you for this post! My feelings exactly! Thank you!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.