Monday, September 17, 2012

My Review: The New Normal


I watched the New Normal and I have to say, it wasn't cute.

The show plays on unnecessary stereotypes and borrowed zingers from Modern Family. But, to get the meat of this post, I will give my review.
  • Bryan and David are the perfect White, gay, rich, LA stereotype.
  • Some the lines tried too hard to be funny. 
  • Bryan and David play to the basic belief of top and bottom.
  • Jane (the Grandmother) felt forced as a character. You could almost predict her lines in every scene.
  • Nene Leaks plays the SBC, the Sassy Black Chick... Go figure.
  • The show is very White.
  • The true star of the show is Goldie. In fact, if they took out the gays and made the show about Goldie getting her life together, it would be more entertaining.
  • Not convinced this show can actually go beyond 3 seasons.
  • The show also pushes the notion that getting a child is as easy as buying a car.
  • The gay characters are not interesting, but again, Goldie is.
  • Hopefully, Bryan and David grow as characters because if they don't the show is doomed.
In all,  The New Normal is the old White Stereotypical Show about Gays

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you you watch the second episode? It was so much better and the little girl spent the entire show imitating Little Edie of Grey Gardens BRILLIANTLY!

behrmark said...

I haven't watched this; I tend to shy away from shows with gay characters because it becomes so stereotypical (Jack McFarland's Cher obsession). All my straight friends think all gays act like that. As for it being "white" perhaps what we need is an out black man to initiate a project.

WilsonW said...

And this show was created by a gay guy...what does that tell us??

Anonymous said...

The gay Doctor is cute. I hate seeing men compare themselves to women. I really hate men who act too Nelly. I hope the gay sitcom Tyler Perry is putting out shows gay masculine men and the frail guys.NeNe the angry black woman was so over.

Nikki B. said...

I didn't like it either. In fact, I didn't even finish it. They lost me at "halfrican american"...

K. Clark said...

I watched the first episode and thought it was ok, although I do agree with you about some of the stereotypes and how easy they make getting a child look. The grandmother's clearly Jane Lynch 2.0.

Have you ever watched The L.A. Complex? The lead black character is a DL rapper, but the portrayal is pretty layered/complex, particularly for a basic cable show.

Immanuel said...

K. Clark is right. The L.A. Complex is the best depiction of a gay character (albeit a down-low one) in a long time.

Matter fact it's coming on in about 45 minutes!

See ya!

Immanuel, www.dlconfessionssequel.com

Stan said...

Why do writers/producers of these shows think we all want to be like straight couples?

kayman said...

Yawn @ this show. I like Nene, but I wish she would please move away from being such a cliche. Only the myopic minded gays believe in this stupid stereotype...

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.