Sunday, September 30, 2012

Interesting Quote: Rupert Everett

"Why do queens want to go and get married in churches? Obviously this crusty old pathetic, Anglican church – the most joke-ish church of all jokey churches – of course they don't want to have queens getting married. It's kind of understandable that they don't; they're crusty old calcified freaks. But why do we want to get married in churches? I don't understand that, myself, personally. I loathe heterosexual weddings; I would never go to a wedding in my life. I loathe the flowers, I loathe the fucking wedding dress, the little bridal tiara. It's grotesque. It's just hideous. The wedding cake, the party, the champagne, the inevitable divorce two years later. It's just a waste of time in the heterosexual world, and in the homosexual world I find it personally beyond tragic that we want to ape this institution that is so clearly a disaster."

source

3 comments:

Roger Poladopoulos said...

I've always felt the same; however, just because I don't like it doesn't mean that I don't fight for equality for those who do.

Anonymous said...

Rupert forgot to mention the diva bridezillas.

Anonymous said...

I think the principle is not marriage as such, rather the right to equal treatment and equal acceptance of relationships. I personally wouldn't want to be married by someone in a silk dressing gown muttering incantations, but I understand that some people have religious beliefs and want to be accepted equally with straight couples.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.