Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Review: "The Secret Circle"


So I got a hold of the "The Secret Circle" pilot. I wanted to check it out to see if this new witch series would be cute, fun or flat out messy.

After seeing it, I think it will find it's audience... With the Sweet Valley High crowd. So here is my vague review of "The Secret Circle".
  • The teaser gave us a good intro. It opened up a world of questions.
  • Cassie has powers, but it has never manifested. But the other witches' abilities have. Didn't make sense.
  • The plot follows the similar storyline of 'The Covenant' (That movie sucked)
  • The whole family of witches is cute, but overused.
  • The series also follows in the same vein as 'The Craft' (That movie Rocked)
  • There's a scene with the bad boy with his shirt unbutton (unnecessary cuteness)
  • Speaking of cuteness, The Sarah Conor Chronicles' Thomas Dekker plays the lead guy.  However, he not what I would call the dreambeau, he's more like a cute twink.
  • Gale Harold is the bad guy. He's very good in this role and carries the show for me.
  • The series has promise, but it needs to pick it up in the next few episodes.
  • There are decent plot lines to come, I hope they are not predicable as the pilot was.
  • It needs something more, it's too 'teen dream'.
  • Also this show needs diversity, it very white.
  • The mother didn't try to save herself, I was confused with the beginning scene.
  • I think it has a shot, but I'm not sure it can make it pass two seasons.
So in all: it's cute, teen dream-ish and predicable. I might watch the 2nd episode, but that's it if it doesn't improve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got the pilot episode already set on my DVR. I'll have to check it out during my extended weekend.

Anonymous said...

I always think that if some other race were to play a superhuman that the little white kids would start to fear them. I should say this is what I think others think who don't do the diversity thing.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.