Saturday, December 4, 2010

An unknown, random story about me


When I was a kid, I was waaay too many scary movies. I would watch them at my Grandmama's house with my cousins. When she felt asleep at 9PM, we would watch all of the R rated movies we could find.

One in particular movie was, Cujo. I think most of you know about this movie; a rabid dog attacks a mother and son in a car... So after we saw this movie, I was a little bit scared of big dogs; especially my neighbor's huge dog, Max, across the street.

Well, one day Max chased my friend Scott on his bike and bit a big chunk out of his leg. I actually saw it happen and was too afraid to help Scott. Later, he was taken to the hospital. I was so mad at myself for letting Scott get bit. I thought Max was becoming dangerous like Cujo. And like Cujo, he would kill everyone in my neighborhood. So I knew I had to do something about it.

The next day, I went to the corner store and bought some rat poison and a can of dog food with change I was saving for firecrackers. I mixed the poison and the dog food at home. Then, I went over to Max's doghouse (after the attack, he was put on a chain leash) and gave him the food.

Fast forward a day later, Max is super sick. The neighbors were upset and start asking if anyone saw him eat anything crazy or if he was acting weird. My mama said she see didn't anything, but I opened my big mouth and spilled the beans.

I told them that I tried to kill Max, because he bit Scott and he was becoming like Cujo. At first they were mad, but then they laughed... I didn't think it was funny. I really thought Max could eat our entire neighborhood. So I thought I had to kill him to save everyone.

My mama spent that night trying to convince me that Max wasn't Cujo. But I was 10, so what did I know about reality. I really believed that Max was evil.

Max lived, but for years, that dog never barked at me or chased me. I wonder if he knew what I tried to do?

4 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

That needs to make it into one of your screenplays.

EMikeGarcia said...

Oh man, after I saw Cujo I swore every dog in the world was out to get me. After that, I was so apprehensive around dogs that they HATED me and for a very long time I couldn't get near any dogs without them barking or growling at me.

Unknown said...

LOL. I like that the 10 year old you was loyal to your friend, and serious about justice.

Ken Riches said...

Your spirit and loyalty is to be commended, but I am glad the dog survived.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.