Friday, December 24, 2010

Joe Biden: Gay Marriage in U.S. 'Inevitable'



“With respect to the issue of whether gays and lesbians should be able to get married, I’ve spoken about this recently. As I’ve said, my feelings about this are constantly evolving. I struggle with this. I have friends, I have people who work for me, who are in powerful, strong, long-lasting gay or lesbian unions. And they are extraordinary people, and this is something that means a lot to them and they care deeply about.
At this point, what I’ve said is, is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have. And I think — and I think that’s the right thing to do. But I recognize that from their perspective it is not enough, and I think is something that we’re going to continue to debate and I personally am going to continue to wrestle with going forward.”

2 comments:

Joy said...

I think Obama is for marriage equality but is being political. I've noticed during the last two years that he works on issues by setting the stage and laying a foundation for change. It's working.

Stan said...

Look how long and hard it was to get rid of DADT. Equality in marriage is going to take forever because of the Religious Right Fundamentalists.
The struggle continues for our equal rights.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.