Saturday, October 2, 2010

Which Vampire Girl was Better?



I saw the remake of Let The Right One In... Let Me In, the other night. I have to say that I was scared of this remake, but I wanted to give this a shot.

And the verdict: It is the best of all remakes so far, but it was completely unnecessary.

Here's my bullet point review:
  • The two teen characters are good. They embodied the whole outsider thing down to a T. But unlike the original characters, they didn't really push the creepiness and sadness of the movie.
  • The "father/killer" was too vocal in the US version. The original "father/killer" was something more. He gave you fear and fright. But in the US version, you got a little more compassion.
  • The bullies were better in the remake.
  • I was not happy that they made the Owen's dad straight. In the original, the dad was living with a man. In this version, it was very clear that he was with a woman.
  • The CGI sucked.
  • The Owen/Oskar character was not as creepy as the original version. Actually, I loved Oskar, because he was a bit disturbing.
  • Most scenes were very tight with the original, and they even added some new things that were okay.
  • This version told a story, but in clumps; not as connected as the first.
  • The feel of the movie was nice, similar to the original.
  • This was the best version of American vampire movies I've seen in awhile.
  • In all, it was a good remake.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.