Friday, July 2, 2010

Get Ready for... IT the Feature Film


You remember IT. The Stephen King masterpiece and later a mini-series in the 90s.

Well, it's about to be a feature film. The screenwriter, David Kajganich talked about the progress.

When I heard Warner Bros. was going to give the novel a go theatrically, I went after the job hard. I knew the studio was committed to adapting IT as a single film, so I went back and reread the novel to see if I thought this was even possible, and to try to find a structure that would accommodate such a large number of characters in two different time periods, around 120 pages, which was another of the studio�s stipulations.

and..

In all of my talks with the studio, it has only ever been discussed as a single feature film. The book's length is clearly more suited to a mini-series�and I understand very well why they went that route the last time around�but I think the book�s content is really more appropriate for cinema. I told the studio from the beginning that I felt I needed to be able to write for an R rating, since I wanted to be as candid as the novel about the terrible things the characters go through as kids. They agreed and off I went.

I hope he can pull it off, IT is no joke. I wish him luck.

source

3 comments:

Bob said...

This could be promising.
I loved the book.

Jamie Paisley said...

I tried to toss the scripts in the sewer, but they all float.

SteveA said...

This is one of my fave book of all time - I remember being scared night after night and still continued to read it. The mini-series was good - I actually liked the cast!

However I fear that any Stephen King book made into a movie has been disappointing apart from The Green Mile and Dolores Claireborne!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.