Friday, March 12, 2010

ACLU sues a Mississppi High School over a lesbian student and her date


Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi has a case on their hands.

This school actually canceled their prom because they didn't want a young lesbian couple to go. Well, that foolishness was counter attacked by American Civil Liberties Union. They have filed a lawsuit against them.

The lawsuit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, alleges that officials at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi, are violating the student's First Amendment right to freedom of expression.

The ACLU asked the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi to reinstate the prom.

"All I wanted was the same chance to enjoy my prom night like any other student. But my school would rather hurt all the students than treat everyone fairly," said the student, 18-year-old Constance McMillen, in an ACLU news release. "This isn't just about me and my rights anymore -- now I'm fighting for the right of all the students at my school to have our prom."

These folks need to open their minds. Times have change and our kids are moving on.


source

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked a small southern town would be so close minded!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.