Sunday, September 21, 2014

Real Talk for Y'all

When I left my job, I didn't know what to expect.

I had 12K saved up, no job leads and myself. I was scared, because I never left a job without another job around the corner, but I knew I had to go... So I did.

For the first time in my life, I had to find a place and a job all at once. Usually, working in Residential Life, you get a free place and a job. I became so comfortable with that format I had no idea on how to do the basic things to prepare for real life living.

For two months, I learned a lot about my heart, my passion, my strength and my soul. I was put to the test on making it on my own, and I tell you, it wasn't a cakewalk, folks.

I doubted myself and decision to leave my job. I thought I fucked up, but I had to remember that I was/am 20 feet tall.

At a young age, I was taught to be better and strive for the best. I've made it this far and the universe brought me here to LA for a reason. If I fell down, I had to get up and keep going. I watched my Grandmama do it and watched my mama do it... From them, I had the tools. For them, I had to continue the legacy.

So, I kept my head up and my steps firm. I got through a tough run, and yes there's more to come. But now, I know that I'm ready and I will do this.


6 comments:

Bob said...

As my Dad always says, "You never know what you can do until you try."

Good for you.

behrmark said...

I was surprised when you left your job but it sounds like you've done well. Better to leave your job on your own accord than being kicked to the curb like I was.

R.J. said...

I'm glad to hear this. It can be quite scary. I did the same thing on about half that amount of savings a decade ago. I stumbled a few times, but got through it in the end and don't regret it.

Keep going and continued good luck!

BloggerJoe said...

remember all the platitudes, but remember most, you're better than you know. I know you're trying to sell a graphic novel. I don't know if you're ready to look for an agent or anything. I get agent alerts from Writer's Digest and sometimes see agents looking for graphic novels. Want me to send their names to you?

Allan S. said...

Keep on, keeping on! I made that leap in 2006 and never looked back. The best decision I ever made. Life will always have its ups and downs, but you know that you have what it takes to navigate through the challenges.

Wonder Man said...

Yes, Blogger Joe, please

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.