Sunday, October 16, 2011

Did Zachary Quinto Just Come Out?


I saw this tweet and I wandered if this happened?
 I think it did! Here is the key piece in New York Magazine
For one thing, he’s willing to unambiguously talk about his sexual orientation. His eight-month role in Angels was both “the most challenging thing I’ve ever done as an actor and the most rewarding” he says. Having to inhabit that terrible lost world, if only in his mind, took a toll. “And at the same time, as a gay man, it made me feel like there’s still so much work to be done, and there’s still so many things that need to be looked at and addressed.”

Quinto has played a series of gay roles, including on Tori Spelling’s TV show So NoTORIous, and on the new FX series American Horror Story, where he plays the kinky dead owner of the haunted house, and has been outspoken about gay-rights issues. Last year, the Times, in profiling him for Angels, noted that “the blogosphere is rife with speculation about his sexuality” but that “he prefers not to feed the rumor mill with either substantiation or dismissal.” That has changed. A little while later in our conversation, speaking of the cultural bipolarity that can see gay marriage legalized in New York in the same year that yet another gay teenager, Jamey Rodemeyer, was bullied and killed himself, Quinto says, “And again, as a gay man I look at that and say there’s a hopelessness that surrounds it, but as a human being I look at it and say ‘Why? Where’s this disparity coming from, and why can’t we as a culture and society dig deeper to examine that?’ We’re terrified of facing ourselves.”
Well, I guess a congrats is in order.

5 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

Good for him!

EMikeGarcia said...

http://www.zacharyquinto.com/news/2011/10/post.html

Anonymous said...

When he played Sylar on Heroes he was already out. Why go public? Who cares? Don't get me wrong i love this guy and I really love those eyebrows.

Jezza said...

I'm with Lucifer, I thought he was already out.
I love the eyebrows too :P

Unknown said...

Well, i'm proud of him. Yay for Zach!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.