Sunday, April 5, 2009

Stop Bullicide


Eric Mohat, 17, loved the arts and was a bright student. However he was harassed daily at school and no one defended him. So when an asshole told him, publicly in class, to go home and shoot himself, he actually did.

We lost Eric due to bullying and teachers failing to do the simplest thing of stopping the constant teasing and picking.

Eric's parents are suing the school because of this:

Now his parents, William and Janis Mohat of Mentor, Ohio,
have filed a lawsuit in federal court, saying that their son endured name-calling, teasing, constant pushing and shoving and hitting in front of school officials who should have protected him.

The lawsuit -- filed March 27, alleges that the quiet but likable boy, who was involved in theater and music, was called "gay," "fag," "queer" and "homo" and often in front of his teachers. Most of the harassment took place in math class and the teacher -- an athletic coach -- was accused of failing to protect the boy.

"When you lose a child like this it destroys you in ways you can't even describe," Eric Mohat's father told ABCNews.com.

The parents aren't seeking any compensation; rather, they are asking that Mentor High School recognize their son's death as a "bullicide" and put in place what they believe is a badly needed anti-bullying program.

This has to stop in our schools. Please teachers, educate and protect our students!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope they win their case because this young man could have come to school and taken a few persons out with him....

Eric Arvin said...

I remember being bullied in high school as well, and the teachers looking right at me but doing nothing. I don't understand what makes someone NOT get involved when they see harrassment.

Bob said...

It's all that "boys will be boys" crap, except when you're on the end getting bullied.

Marker said...

What Eric Arvin said - I realized early on that nobody in the twisted world of the suburban American highs school of the 1980s (at least mine) was going to help out the fag.

In my school, the homeroom teachers were held up as sort of a first-line guidance counselor . . . mine was the wrestling coach. One of the "real" "guidance" counselors was the football coach. Not that being either thing precludes being a sensitive mentor able to provide guidance and assistance - but these two were not exactly much help.

What a sad story - poor Eric. He had almost made it out.

KAOS said...

I totally second Eric Arvin's comment, my experience was identical.

So, whilst I appreciate that kids can be vicious and cruel etc, what excuse do the adults/teachers have for doing nothing?

That poor boy... :(

Greg said...

The Church needs to look at their role in demonizing homosexuality, as well. We're constantly bombarded with how the so-called right views homosexuality as bad, driving and driving the negativity so that when someone gets harassed -- whether or not he/she is or isn't gay -- terrible things like this happen.

Allan S. said...

Amen brother. The other day some boys were picking on this kid in my classroom. I nipped that sillyness in the bud. I was very clear to all of them, that my classroom is a safe place for all who are in it, and teasing and name calling is NOT allowed.

FYI - The kid they were picking up is a gayling And, the words fag and pato (spanish slang for fag) were being used. Not in my class.

BlogMarkBlog said...

This type of story should be a wake-up call to not only schools, but parents to look for signs of depression in kids, and for schools to enforce a strict, no-tolerance rule on all harassment. How did this kid get access to a gun so easily? It is all very sad.

Prince Todd said...

I was bullied all the time in highschool, it was horrible. I completely empathize with the poor boy (Rest In Peace). Thankfully, I never had access to any guns.
The parents should sue the school.
I remember being teased in class relentlessly and none of my punkass teachers uttered a WORD. Somedays I would ditch because I could not take it...
P.E. was the WORST.

Sorry for getting all emotional. It just brought back memories.

I hope they succeed in the law suit.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.