Thursday, October 11, 2012

More on Storm's new look in Uncanny X-Force


For many of us comic book fans, seeing the Mohawk Storm was pure excitement! But why has this version of the 'Goddess' come back into the scene? Uncanny X-Force writer Sam Humphries tells why:
Yes! THE MOHAWK IS BACK! Look, I love the mohawk and I lobbied hard for it, but I wouldn't have done so if it didn't reflect a change in Ororo's inner life. As excited as I am for the mohawk, I'm more excited about what it means for her as a character. I mean, she has been through some rocky times lately, but this is a character, like Psylocke, who is a survivor. As for the how or why, all I can say is...stay tuned.

The artist Kris Anka also explains Storm's look:
With Storm, I've always felt that she must be treated like she is a woman. She has to stand like she is proud and confident, she has to act like she is proud and confident, she has to seem like she thinks she is proud and confident, and she must dress like she is proud and confident. Yes, she is going through some turmoil in her personal life that she is trying to work through, but it's hard to imagine Storm being the type of woman to let that completely dominate her life. I felt that she needed a costume that both highlighted the change in temperament, but also her regality, and her womanhood. I'm not one that agrees with the notion that every female character has to be "sexy." It needs to serve a purpose. With characters like Emma frost, or Mystique, or in this case Storm, these are women who are completely sure of their sexuality and their status, so they should be the ones that will flaunt it proudly and not give much mind about it.

So excited!

source

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YES! Storm and Psylocke on the same squad... that's my JAM!
And that damn sexy Bishop. Did I mention I have a bit of a crush on Bishop.

Alan Scott said...

I never liked the Mohawk on Storm, but it's much better than that damn bob with the long side bangs. Ick!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.