Saturday, August 25, 2012

10 Reasons why we need 'A Different World' 25 years later


The super-talented Debbie Allen tweeted this yesterday
 Many fans went crazy over this because we remember what a fantastic show 'A Different World' was. If it comes back, it would so good on so many levels.

So to share my views; I have 10 reasons why we need A Different World 25 years later.
  1. There are no Black shows of quality. The Tyler Perry coonery ain't cutting it.
  2. We need a series that focuses on Black youth.
  3. We need to see college as a positive, learning space for growth and creativity.
  4. Everybody wants to see the original cast make an appearance or two... four.
  5. The Black community needs to positive Black images and role models on TV.
  6. Television should have diversity.
  7. With the current state of racism and bigotry, ADW could use the show to address these issues.
  8. We will see diverse Black characters. This show gave us Denise, Whitley and Freddie. Before then, we just had the same old same.
  9. There are more stories that can be told in a deeper matter. Meaning, the new ADW could be a drama versus a comedy.
  10. I'm interested to see what Debbie can do with a new generation.
I would love to see a new version of the show. We need more Blacks on TV and something more than sad mouthy (unmarried) housewives and sorry cheating men.



So, bring back 'A Different World'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know they play ADW on TV One ALL the time, right?

(sorry, had to pimp my company)

Anonymous said...

You know they play ADW on TV One ALL the time, right?

(sorry, had to pimp out my company a little)

behrmark said...

When I watched ADW I didn't think of it as a "black" show as I did some of the other sitcoms that have aired over the years. It WAS a positive show and very enjoyable.

Judy C. Adanna said...

your reason #1: THANK YOU.

Reggie said...

While I don't know that we really need A Different World 25 Years Later, I do agree that all that Tyler Perry nonsense is coonery.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.