Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Coming Out Story


I came out in 1996 to my best friend. It took me about 2 weeks to complete my quest, I really has to process the risks and rewards. But one night at Wal-Mart, I finally did it. I came out in the hair products aisle, looking for dye for streaking my bob. I actually remember feeling the weight move away from me as I said: "I'm really gay."

Two days later, my friends and I were watching Dawson's Creek in my dorm room. My mama called just to chat about her day. While we were talking, she just blurted out that if I liked boys that's fine. She knew I was gay and she thought it would easier for me if she 'helped' me come out. In fact, she made it a lot easier for me to tell everyone I knew.

Since then, life has been pretty good. Because I came out, I was able to live my life to the fullest. I hope many others come out and experience the freedom of being alive and being real.

8 comments:

Bob said...

It really is all about freedom.

behrmark said...

I hope you realize how lucky you have it to have an accepting parent. HUGS

Immanuel said...

Beautiful story. You have a great Mom. Keep going with your great blog. I often get news what's going on in the gay community first through you.

Unknown said...

It's true about feeling like a weight has been lifted off. You feel so much lighter afterwards. Wonderful

Stan said...

I really believe most of our Moms know about our sexuality maybe even before we figure it out.
Bless your Mothers heart! You really are lucky to have such a Mom.

SteveA said...

Your mom sounds awesome - wish more people can be that open! I'm getting there though!

Anonymous said...

I didn't have to say a thing.

Unknown said...

That is touching and sweet. And your' mom is so awesome!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.