Thursday, September 4, 2008

Agreed


Tupac Shakur is the most overrated person in music according the music magazine, Blender.

And I agree with that. I never understood how he became one of the greatest rappers, and I still don't get how Biggie's in that category too.

However, they find Tupac's work to be trendy and “larded records with self-mythologizing, mediocre filler.”

I see can that. Some his serious stuff wasn't played and songs like California Love was overly played. Perhaps he was something to most folks, but to me, he was just another rapper.

2 comments:

Joie Mayfield said...

Ew, I have never like Tupac. Maybe a little when he was in Poetic Justice. Of course, I really watched it for Janet Jackson. :)

Butch said...

Because he was assassinated, it drove him into that status. I must admit, I was never into the Rap scene. Music combined with poetry (lyrics) needs to have a melody with all the rhythm for me. I do understand it was not a new model of displaying poetry in rhythm. The Beat generation (beatniks) of the 50s used to do this in the coffee houses. ( Don't ask how I know that.) ;-)

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.