Friday, September 12, 2008

Radio is Killing the Music Star


So let me get this straight, radio stations will play songs about big booties, slapping hoes, getting high, and about loosing up buttons, but they won't play a hit song because of an empty rumor?

No, they won't.

Adele's hit song Chasing Pavements has been banned in the US for its homosexual connotations.

The record - which has proved a huge success in Adele's native UK - has been dubbed a gay anthem by Americans, who think the title is referring to gay men who cruise around looking for sex.

Adele has now blamed the reference for damaging her chances of making it big Stateside.

She said: "Some weirdo on the internet wrote that Chasing Pavements was about being gay, which isn't true at all.

"Because of that some radio stations in the States wouldn't play it. The guy wrote it on the Urban Dictionary website, which I've used for years and 'chasing pavements' was never on there as a slang term before."

Just when I thought we were making progress...
It's a great song, better than anything we have, and how can people be so dumb. I know it's a small thing, but it's still reflective of our consistent ignorance.

Source

2 comments:

Allan S. said...

Radio is one of the culprits that killed how music is shared with the masses a long time ago. What has sprouted from the grave is the Jonas Brothers.

Thank the higher-power for making the Internet possible. The soon to be diva Adele will sprout wings and fly high thanks to the Internet.

Also, a little scandal won't hurt her efforts. BTW she was on The View recently, so she must have some fierce connections.

Hmmm, maybe this was part of a marketing scheme...nah, let me not go there. At least, not yet.

Unknown said...

I am so simple because I did not get that. I am not gay so maybe I do not (ok not maybe) know everything there is to know. (I can say that about slang cause I have to ask people what they mean) but how in the hell do you ban a song? I never got how they tried to ban Prince. WTF?

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.