Friday, September 5, 2014

HRC President Chad Griffin Apologizes to the Trans Community


HRC President Chad Griffin gets a lot of flack. Sometimes, I get it, but most of the time I don't. Leading HRC is never a walk in the park, but I appreciate Chad for all that he does.

Today, Chad publicly apologizes for the wrong done to the Transgender community at the Southern Comfort Conference in Atlanta.

In his speech, he stated:
HRC has done wrong by the transgender community in the past, and I am here to formally apologize.

I am sorry for the times when we stood apart when we should have been standing together.

Even more than that, I am sorry for the times you have been underrepresented or unrepresented by this organization. What happens to trans people is absolutely central to the LGBT struggle. And as the nation’s largest LGBT civil rights organization, HRC has a responsibility to do that struggle justice, or else we are failing at our fundamental mission.

I came here today in the hopes that we can begin a new chapter together. But I also came here to tell you the truth. We’re an organization that is evolving. We may make mistakes. We may stumble. But what we do promise is to work with you sincerely, diligently, with a grand sense of urgency, listening and learning every step of the way.

And I also want to be clear that I’m not asking you to be the ones to take the first leap of faith. That’s our job. My mom taught me that respect isn’t given, it’s earned.

Over the past two years HRC has dramatically expanded the scope of all of our programs to reach more trans communities than ever before, and I want to take just a few minutes to talk about that work.
Now, after the words, we hope for the action.

1 comment:

R.J. said...

I'll take a wait and see approach to this. I'll believe it when I see it.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.