Sunday, August 3, 2014

Did David S. Goyer get defensive over Constantine's Bisexuality?

So this happened


Afterwards, The Advocate talked to Whennerdsattack.com's Lindsey Cepak, the journalist who asked the question. She said:

"I will admit, I did get flustered. I know some of my facts were wrong, but I was not expecting to be accused of being a fake geek girl, and condescended to."

"It also infinitely frustrated me to hear him act like the '12 years' should somehow negate the fact that Constantine is a bisexual. Rictor and Shatterstar were not initially homosexual/pansexual/bisexual either, but that has not stopped them from becoming positive representation within Marvel comics."

"I doubt it would have mattered if I named the issue where he was first shown to be bisexual. Goyer has made up his mind, and there was little I was going to be able to do to get him to change his point of view." 
 And on Goyer vague answers:
“I think he’s being super ambiguous. The actress we interviewed, who will be playing Zed, spoke on the tension that she will have with Constantine, implying it was unresolved sexual tension. So I think we can say that Constantine will eventually have a romantic/sexual relationship with Zed. As I said in the interview, I don’t think anyone was expecting to see Constantine getting out of bed with a man in the pilot. I just think it’s a cop out. I just don’t see why he can’t say openly, if he is going to have Constantine be bisexual or not. These half answers and ways of talking around the topic are frustrating, and I think are really disrespectful to the fans of the comics, and for the bisexual community.”
This is getting out of hand. Just make him bisexual!

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.