Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's Official, Only Lynda Carter likes the New Wonder Woman Costume


Lord! The geek world was rocked by the Naomi Malone version of the Wonder Woman costume. The views were overwhelmingly negative. However, the original WW Lynda Carter liked it:
"What's not to like! Adrianne [Palicki] looks gorgeous and I'm really looking forward to seeing David E. Kelley's new series."
Gorgeous? Hardly, I mean Adrianne is very pretty, but that costume is not cute. And I'm not alone in this feeling. In a LA Times poll, the majority of the folks hated this 'fit. On other geek blogs, the jokes and puns ran wild. Here's a few:


blastr.com

This could be much worse. Sure, the costume is a little too shiny, the colors are a bit too bright and poor Adrienne Palicki is gonna sweat to death in all that latex. 

io9.com
Looks like Diana Prince has a brand new pair of shiny blue pleather pants. Oh dear. 

SlashFilm.com
David E. Kelley‘s new TV series is evidently going for the ‘Sexy Wonder Woman’ Halloween look. See the full image after the break.


Getting the costume right is one of the difficult factors in putting Wonder Woman on the screen. How do you make the costume look both revealing and eye-catching and simply right? This version doesn’t manage that at all. How much talcum powder does this thing require to get on and off?

I hope NBC is looking at this, because I feel we have another 'Birds of Prey' on our hands!

9 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I think it's pretty... way better than the old one! Look at Lynda Carter's crotch- it's insane! Her legs are 4 inches apart AT THE CROTCH! No one is built like that... with a flat place at their aintcher... except BARBIE!

Damien said...

OH WM I am with you on this - i can not BELIEVE Lynda Carter is into this costume.

I am guessing they got her on one of her "just a little sherry" nights.'

I mean - drunk goggles is the ONLY way this thing looks good.

And even then you'd reaching for a 20" to tuck into the lasso.......

Anonymous said...

Is lynda still on the sauce????
Just kidding. I feel Lynda had bad memories with the costume she wore and likes the pants.

Unknown said...

Poor girl. Jeggings would look better than that latex all over her legs.

Terilynn said...

My comment was: "Does anyone know David E. Kelley? Please forward this note to him: Please sir, make the shiny go away. #WonderWoman"

It looks like an adult book store costume. And trust me, I've seen a lot of em. PVC anyone?! All she needs is a rubber ball.

Joy said...

Melissa had this picture on her FB page. We don't like it either. I'm still having trouble with Kelley on this project. I like his writing but can't see it with Wonder Woman. What do you think?

Judy C. Adanna said...

Ms. Carter is just being polite. All that heart you saw onscreen in the 70s was coming from her, not the writing. Everything she has said/written publicly shows how much she gets WW. If only she could exec produce the new WW.

WilsonW said...

I don't think Lynda Carter, "gets" Wonder Woman. I think she played the role great. But she played the Wonder Woman from the Superfriends cartoon. Not the Wonder Woman from the current Justice League cartoons or Wonder Woman comics. The problem is I'm not sure which of these incarnations is supposed to be being portrayed in this new TV show.

I think if they were going to be doing the current costume from the comic. They should have done it completely. And that Wonder Woman isn't dipping herself in baby powder before putting on her costume. Drop the latex folks.

Judy C. Adanna said...

I disagree. The producers/writers and Lyle Waggoner were doing the Super Friends. Carter was doing the best she could with what she had to work with, which was not going to be dark and gritty, it was TV in the 70's. Carter has spoken and written publicly about WW as a concept, and I do think she got it and gets it. Something that the designer of the new costume doesn't. Let's hope it was a first try prototype, or that Palicki has a similar ability to rise above the nonsense she gets stuck with.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.