Saturday, September 6, 2008

Late Night Cruising


I was thinking about Friday nights in my hometown of Union City, Tn. There wasn't much to do and to save money, we just cruise around town. We would pile up in a car and hit the streets. Sometimes we would drive around our neighborhood, go downtown, hit the main strip, or go to the White side of town (yes it exist).

Gas was super cheap and our conversation consisted of school and silly gossip. Some of my best self discoveries was with a good friend of mine in high school. We would talk about everything and drive around for hours. I was thankful to have him in my life. He made the smalltown life bearable and gave me so much confidence. During those late night drives, I learned more about him, life, and myself. It was some of my best life moments.

Now fast forward 17 years from Tennessee to Cali-Cal. I still love to drive around endlessly. I find it refreshing and soothing. Driving in L.A. is a challenge, but it has it moments. But I miss the days of cruising the small streets and the backwoods roads. There was so much that happened, so much that was revealed. I guess in those short journeys, I was prepared to take bigger ones emotionally and physically.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting you mention the driving around bit. I've lived my entire life in Providence, RI.

It's part of the Boston metro area, 2nd largest city in New England behind Boston too.

But as a kid, it was just hanging out and cruising. Now there's much more to do for a kid here in the city since Providence has seriously grown up in the last 25 years.

But work now takes me into the Boston area on a regular basis and I can feel the pull.

SpecialK261 said...

nice article...i know what you mean...i guess that's your version of a walk on the beach....clears your mind...thanx for commenting in my blog back in May, it meant alot at the time. I knwo this is mad late but take care..lol

Wonder Man said...

No prob, SK261, glad that I could help.

I feel you, truthspew

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.