Thursday, January 2, 2014

Interesting Quote: Chris Kluwe




However, it's clear to me that no matter how much I want to prove I can play, I will no longer punt in the NFL, especially now that I've written this account. Whether it's my age, my minimum veteran salary, my habit of speaking my mind, or (most likely) a combination of all three, my time as a football player is done. Punters are always replaceable, at least in the minds of those in charge, and I realize that in advocating noisily for social change I only made it easier for them to justify not having me around. So it goes.

Some will ask if the NFL has a problem with institutionalized homophobia. I don't think it does. I think there are homophobic people in the NFL, in all positions, but that's true for society as well, and those people eventually get replaced. All we can do is try to expose their behavior when we see it and call them to account for their actions.
Great piece from Chris, check it out 

Oh Snap, his former team responded

2 comments:

Bob said...

I always suspected it had something to do with him being so vocal.
Too bad.

Anonymous said...

I hold the Raiders blameless. Kluwe got beat out by a kid that ended the season as the league's top punter.

The Vikings? Let's also name the Ravens for Brendan Ayanbadejo's early retirement and the entire NFL for blacklisting Kerry Rhodes for allegedly being gay.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.