Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Could Spidey be Black? Stan Lee weighs in

Actor and show writer, Donald Glover, would love to be Spider-Man.

He has the acting chops and great comedic timing, however he challenges the Spidey Mythos because Donald's Black.

But is that an issue? To some, no. There are campaigns to make this a reality:

A post on Glover's website IAmDonald.com says: "I'm putting myself in the running for the Spiderman reboot. I'm actually quite interested to see how far this goes. If this happens, I'll buy each and every one of you a mini cooper."

And a post on his reported Twitterfeed MrDonaldGlover said: "@io9 wrote a post about casting a non-white #Spiderman for the reboot. some1 suggested @MrDonaldGlover. I agree with this." Minutes later was posted: "You guys are awesome! Retweet. Someone start a facebook page."

Aye-aye, potential Spidey. The Facebook page created by Michelle Vargas soon had more than 3,500 supporters.

And the issue is still growing, causing some interesting discussions out there. Even the Marvel God, Stan Lee put in his two cents.

Please listen:



We all know Spidey is white, like we know Storm is Black or African. If his race was changed, would that change everything?

I know it would be different if Storm was a Latina in the movies. To me, that character wouldn't be the Storm I know. So I'm not completely sure where I stand on this. If it's minor characters, I can see it, but major ones, I'm not so sure.

Still processing

4 comments:

WilsonW said...

I still remember when folks were freaking out because one of the Wayans was up to be Robin in the Batman movie. The same thing happened when the rumor was going around that Will Smith may be cast as Captain America. Their still are not a lot of people happy about Samuel Jackson being Nick Fury in the movies. (Though he is black in the alternate universe comic)

I don't know. In comics a persons minority status is very important largely due to how few prominent characters of color their are. They also tend to make their race a prominent aspect of their character. Storm needs to be African because she was seen as an African Goddess when she lived there. How does a Latina or white person pull that off?

At the end of the day it's a lot easier to make a white character Black, Asian or whatever. Because in many instances their ethnicity and culture has very little to do with the character. The reverse often can't be said. Granted, when you have white characters whose culture is prominent that wouldn't be the case. Banshee is Irish, Moon Knight is Jewish, Colossus is Russian, etc. But Spider-Man.....uhmm he's an everyday, boy next door guy so..yep any race could play him. Still doesn't mean the public would go for it. And I doubt they would.

WilsonW said...

Wait can I take back everything I said. If there is no problem making Asian characters white, then there should be none making White characters Black. I apologize, Avatar the Last Airbender completely left my mind at the time I wrote the other reply. When characters that are so strongly Asian in design, culture and identity get changed to white but keep wearing and exhibiting all the Asian influences then yes, you could have had a White African Goddess Storm and we shouldn't bat an eye at it.....right??

EMikeGarcia said...

I may be mistaken, but Storm was born to a Kenyan mother and she was also worshipped as a tribal goddess... Both are key to her identity and her background, so yes, to make her Latina or white would mean a total rewrite of her history.

Now, Peter Parker's main identity is just a normal booknerd, I don't think it has much to do with his race. I think a black Spiderman would be totally awesome and a welcome shake-up.

YvesPaul said...

Donald Glover is quite cute and I have no problems with him being Spiderman. Storm has a back story trace back to Egypt while Spidey is a true-and-true New Yorker. Though it'd be fun if Storm gets reinterpreted to be Asian a la Mulan with Chinese magic or something like that.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.