Monday, March 1, 2010

OHIO, not a LGBT friendly place


I didn't know this but apparently, Ohio is not the greatest place to be if you're gay.

According to IN THE LIFE, Ohio are not fans:
Our first installment of this IN THE LIFE feature takes us to Ohio, a state ranked among the worst for LGBT rights. Ohio legislators not only banned same sex marriages but barred unmarried state employees from receiving benefits for domestic partners; transgender Ohioans lack basic civil rights including the right to correct their birth certificates and LGBT people can be legally fired from their jobs because of their sexual orientation and gender identity. In this report on the gay experience in the heartland, we meet locals with deep ties to their community organizing for equal rights.
I can't wait to see this. I knew Ohio wasn't friendly, but this is very interesting.

2 comments:

Larry Ohio said...

Yes, it's true. Ohio sucks. People are moving out of this hell hole in droves, and my husband and I will be too as soon as I find a job out of state.

In 2004 the voters passed a state constitutional amendment that not only outlawed gay marriage, but outlawed anything that merely "approximates" gay marriage, such as civil unions and domestic partnerships.

LGBT people do not even get the protection of domestic violence laws because that only applies to domestic partners and gay folks cannot legally be domestic partners.

I hope someday the U.S. Supreme Court interprets the 5th and 14th Amendments as not allowing the people to vote on civil rights because to allow a bigoted majority to vote on the civil rights of an oppressed minority is nothing less than deprivation of constitutionally guaranteed due process and equal protection.

Au Naturale said...

OH is so ass backwards-it's oppressive to any1 progressive. I'm a MI resident and their police can't stand MI license plates. I drive on cruise control. While I don't expect to see MI pass same sex marriage in the near century, our gay scene is cool, my employer even has an LGBT organization and domestic partnership benefits (att).

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.