Tuesday, April 7, 2015

In Louisiana: A Lesbian Student fought for the right to Wear a Tux to Prom


Claudetteia Love is an honor student in high school and a proud lesbian. And like most students, she was looking forward to the prom. But Principal Taylor wouldn't let go because she wants to wear a tux.

Devastated, Claudetteia felt that all of her hard work was for nothing. However, there was help on the way. The ACLU and National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) got involved, sending a letter to the Louisiana School Superintendents.

In no time, Principal Taylor and two members of the Monroe County Board of Education changed their minds:
“We are pleased to hear that Principal Taylor and the Monroe City School Board corrected this wrong before any serious harm was done. Forbidding girls from wearing a tuxedo to the prom would have served no purpose other than to reinforce the worst sorts of harmful stereotypes and censor a core part of Claudetteia’s identity,” said NCLR Executive Director Kate Kendell. “The school is doing the right thing by supporting its students and teaching them the value of respect and acceptance of one another’s differences.”

Jackson, who is fully supportive of Claudetteia’s sexual orientation and her decision to wear a tuxedo, stated: “I am very happy that the school reversed its position in time for Claudetteia and her friends to attend the prom together. Also, I am proud of Claudetteia for standing up for her right to wear a tuxedo to prom and for being true to herself. She should not have to miss out on an important milestone for all high school students because of what others might say or do.”

“I am thankful that my school is allowing me to be who I am and attend my senior prom in tuxedo. Now that I can go in my tuxedo, I am looking forward to celebrating the end of my senior year with my friends and classmates at the prom, like any other student,” said Love. “The outpouring of support has been incredible and inspiring; it is a source of strength that I will keep with me as I move on the next phase of my education and life beyond high school.”
Now, she can wear anything she wants to.

source

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.