Friday, November 12, 2010

WATCH Chris Matthews challenge Dan Choi on Hardball


Wow! I have to say this interview was really interesting. Funny how folks were calling Chris an asshole on other blogs. I guess these folks never watch Chris before. It's no secret, Chris is an asshole, that's why the show is called Hardball.

What he did is what every journalist should do, challenge and question. I appreciated how Chris handled this interview, because it feels like Dan and others are very comfortable using a lot of these bullet point answers and talking points. It was good for Dan to be challenged and it was good that Chris pushed for concrete answers.

For example, the statement about Obama calling basketball players vs congress on the day of the DADT vote, was overblown. For some reason, that particular incident was given a lot power, when in reality, it wouldn't have made a difference. I was glad that Chris asked Dan about calling the Repubs, because we know it wouldn't have changed their minds.

And while I feel Dan's and Alex's pain, I was disappointed they didn't really answer Chris' questions. It felt like Chris was giving them the answers they should have known. I'm sorry, but in this type of battle, you need to know your sh*t. You can't think you know, you NEED to know.

So I hope Dan and Alex watch this clip and come back stronger. Angela Davis, Bayard Rustin and others like them always came correct. Dan, I feel you, I respect you... But you got to do the same thing.

3 comments:

Stan in NH said...

Yes,I see your point. They definitely weren't answering the questions. Their objective is to trash the president, not to lay blame on the Repubs who are holding it up.
I'm not sure I don't agree that the president should ask congress to take action. I think he should. But the questions as asked should have been answered as it brings to the forefront the real issue and problem we face in this current political climate.

EMikeGarcia said...

Chris' question was completely valid given Dan Choi's insistence on bashing the President any chance he gets.

And the answer is fairly simple... Among all American's the split may be 70/30 in favor of repealing DADT, the split among LIKELY voters is closer to 50/50. Republicans and Conservatives don't want to lose those votes, so they hardline on social issues.

WilsonW said...

@EMike-Thank you! It really wasn't a difficult question and the answer was fairly obvious. IMO.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.