Thursday, November 4, 2010

Was Meryl Streep considered for the role of Ripley in Alien?


Really, y'all no joke.

Here's what I found out:
Well, I'll save some of the others for the late review that's coming, but it's interesting also to find out in the offcuts section of the Blu-ray that Meryl Streep was one of only two Broadway actresses that Ridley Scott had been due to see in New York for the role of Ripley in early 1978. And that, in a way, Streep actually appears in Alien 3 anyway...
Alien franchise producer Gordon Carroll says, in an interview segment that never made it into the main documentaries either on the DVD or Blu-ray editions, that:
"We had a casting girl working for us named Mary Goldberg - she told us that there were two women we should see in New York that she thought would be perfect [for 'Ripley']. One who had done some films, but had not broken through as yet, and the other was a young girl who had not made a movie as yet. The first woman was Meryl Streep. Meryl's long-time companion had just died, and I did not feel that she should be asked to come in from the country. It had just happened the day before...we could see her another time. The other woman was, of course, Sigourney Weaver."
 Interesting stuff! I don't know if can see her in that role. What do you think?

source

2 comments:

Prince Todd said...

Sigourney got the role by the hair of her chinny chin chin! I could see Meryl as Ripley, for sure! lol
Well I love both. But Sigourney was perfectly cast.

Kyle Leach said...

I think she is awesome V and I'm sure she could do anything, but I don't think she was the best match for the role.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.