Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Marcus Brandon, a Black openly gay man wins election to N.C. House


Great news, y'all! Small gains, means a lot!

Here's the scoop:
Marcus Brandon has been elected to the North Carolina House of Representatives. He will represent the cities of Greensboro and High Point in the state legislature.


Brandon will be the only openly LGBT state legislator in North Carolina, and one of just five openly LGBT African-Americans serving in state legislatures across the country (including Maryland House of Delegates candidate Mary Washington, who will also win tonight).

This is good, because there are a lack of LGBT African-Americans in office. I hope this is a growing trend.

source

4 comments:

BosGuy said...

I agree with you. The US Congress needs to start looking like Americans. I wish the Freshman Rep much luck and congratulations.

Cubby said...

This absolutely floored me when I heard about it. In North Carolina? Seriously? I wonder how much a role his sexuality played in the campaign? This just makes me very very happy.

behrmark said...

That is great news!
And he's very handsome to boot!

Kyle Leach said...

This was one of the delights of yesterdays turmoil. V, I agree with your assessment that the halls of power throughout the nation are still looking very WASPSM. They'd look much better with diversified representations of our people.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.